Thursday, October 22, 2015

NNC Craft Retreat 2015 – Day Two of the Retreat (Part 3 of 4)

For the 2nd day of the Retreat, I was a little concerned that we might not get the 3rd project done as I still had the pincushion for the Etui to show how to do.

So the night before the 2nd day, I sent everyone a whatsapp to ask them to try to make it by 8.30am or latest by 8.45am so that we can have a head start on the 3rd project, giving me some extra time to show them how to do the pincushion.

Everyone was very cooperative when everyone arrived early or on time. It being a Saturday, traffic was light and we were also able to park right in front of the Meeting Center, instead of having to drop off our things first and then parking our car quite a distance from the place.

As soon as everyone finished setting up their sewing machines, it was full concentration from the word go.


Our 3rd project was the choice project of either the Dresden Plate Block Quilt or the Reversible Bag. 


I had prepared myself for a challenging day as I would be teaching 2 projects at the same time.


But I was surprised how things moved on smoothly with no hiccups at all! 


Everyone was being very cooperative, focused and eager to get the 3rd project going.


Only Sally and Margaret opted for the Dresden Plate Quilt Block, while Paul, Idah, Oyah, Suseela and Radha chose the Reversible Bag as their 3rd project for the Retreat.


Even though the Dresden Plate Quilt Block looked complicated, but it was far easier than the Reversible bag. It only required sewing of only one circle, while the rest were just straight sewing.


The Reversible Bag, on the other hand, had curves at almost every stage of the sewing! 


But that did not deter Radha from completing her bag! She was determined to complete it!


She could surely win the Determination Award if ever there was one!

She told us that her sister was impressed with her the day before when she brought home a completed Lotus Bag. 

I told Radha that her sister is going to be even more surprised when she brings home a completed Reversible Bag at the end of the 2nd day!

BTW, Radha, thanks for your compliments and vote of confidence when you said that you’d join my class again should I run another sewing class! I’ll be looking forward to have you in my class again! 

Twenty minutes before we stopped to break for lunch, I showed everyone how to make the pincushion for the Etui Sewing Box. That got everyone eager to finish off their pincushion before lunch so that it can be showcased after lunch during our Mini NNC 9th Anniversary celebration.


So eager was everyone that we finally only stopped for lunch at 1.30pm! LOL!


I had such great hardworking students! I’ll have this set of students in my class anytime!


After lunch, we set up the classroom into a Show Gallery of sorts as we showcased all the completed projects.


In my excitement to see all the completed projects, I forgot to snap a close-up of each individual projects, but remembered to snap a photo of everyone with their projects.

These individual close-ups came from the participants themselves which they sent to me by whatsapp. Thanks, everyone!

Only Suseela’s close-up photo of her project is missing.

A very pleased Suseela
A salute to Radha, who, despite not having a sewing machine of her own, managed to complete 2 bags besides the Etui!


Idah with her Black and white set of finished projects!


Idah was well coordinated with her finished pieces when she also wore black and white on the last day of the Retreat.


Was that planned or a coincidence, Idah?

Margaret made changes to her set of Dresden Plate Quilt Block to suit her choice of colours, and I think it turned out great!



I just love the combination of blue and red!



Zawiyah or Oyah with her completed projects


I think Oyah's last minute decision to change the threads for the Reversible Bag was a good one as it highlighted the gold threads in the fabric.




Paul with his completed projects.


The reverse side of Paul's Reversible bag is a camouflage fabric which was bought specially from Penang.



Unfortunately I forgot to ask Paul to reverse the bag after taking this photo, but you can see the fabric here in this photo of Paul working on the Reversible bag.


Sally with her completed projects.


If I am doing a set for myself, I think I'll do in this combination! I just love all the shades of PINK in all the projects!


Great work, everyone!

Overall, I think the Retreat was a success.

Having a small group is a huge plus, in my opinion.

Even though, initially I was targeting for 20 participants, but when I couldn’t get the number I was targeting for, I decided that maybe it was a blessing in disguise after all.

I think 10 would have been a good number, but I am glad that we ended up having only 9, even though eventually only 7 turned up.

In fact, I think even if we had we had all 9 turn up, it would have been just the right number of students to teach a craft class. It gave me the opportunity to give more focus on each participant.

Another plus point was that we were among people we are familiar with. We were among families.


Margaret, Sally, Radha, Paul and I are all NNC members who we are all very close to. 


Then there was Suseela, Radha’s SIL – a family member. 


Zuraidah and Zawiyah are my cousin-in-laws who I am also close to.


So having people we all know before and are close to helps a lot. For one thing, they are more forgiving, like the first day when, despite my meticulous planning, *blush* I still missed out the poly fiber fill for the pincushion for the Etui Sewing Box!

I think a total stranger might not be as forgiving, and would probably go onto FB and start complaining as soon as he or she could get online! LOL!

Despite my relatively strict (was I really strict? *wink*) way of teaching, every participant was very cooperative and did not give me much problems. 


In fact, they gave me no problems at all, except for one naughty participant who we still love her just the same no matter how nakal she is *wink*, and one star student who just couldn’t wait for the others to get done! LOL! *wink*


But, like Paul said, star students make life very easy for the teachers because then you can focus on the others, and a naughty student makes class less boring. LOL! *wink*

But I think I was not actually strict, but more of wanting to show the correct way of doing things, and not cincai macai, because I wanted to make sure that everyone learns the correct way first before they start making their own changes to suit the way they do things.

Suseela took a tailoring class before so she’s had some basic sewing skills, which also makes teaching her a breeze.

I was initially worried when Radha told me that she was not so looking forward to making the bags because of the sewing involved. But I must salute her for her dedication! 


Despite not having her own sewing machine (she shared a sewing machine with Suseela and Paul), she did managed to complete both bags and the Etui Sewing Box! Tabik spring gitu!

I am very happy to have cousin-in-laws Zuraidah (Idah) 



and Zawiyah (Oyah) join the Retreat, both an expert in their fields. 


Idah takes awesome photos with her professional camera, while I have always admired Oyah’s painting works.

So to be able to share my knowledge and introduce them to another type of craft was a great honour. Thanks for your support, Idah and Oyah!

Paul is an exemplary student.

He is a teacher himself and knows the stress of teaching students who are lazy or would not listen to the teacher, so he gave me no problems at all! I’ll have him in my class any time! *wink*

I think everyone had fun! I had fun teaching. I had a great class to teach!

This Retreat, hopefully will be the first of many more Retreats and Craft Classes to come in the future! 

It will be more challenging with different projects to teach over the years as the participants will be expecting different kinds of projects each year, but I hope I’ll always be up to the challenge, with support from friends!

Thanks, everyone, for joining the Retreat! It was a great honour to have you all in my class!

I think everyone went home happy and satisfied.

I hope that you will use the knowledge learned over the 2 days to make more similar projects.

Should any of you need a refresher course, just let me know. I am just a whatsapp away! 

NNC 9th Anniversary Mini Celebration coming up! (Part 4 of 4)

3 comments:

datinnikzaharah said...

Wow!wow! you area an mazing teacher.

Lisa Kenneth said...

I was diagnosed a couple of years ago with COPD and I was beyond scared! My lung function test indicated 49% capacity. After having had the flu a year ago, the shortness of breath, coughing and chest pains continued even after being treated with antibiotics. I've been smoking two packs a day for 36 years. Being born without a sternum caused my ribs to be curled in just one inch away from my spine, resulting in underdeveloped lungs. At age 34 I had surgery and it was fixed. Unfortunately my smoking just caused more damage to my already under developed lungs. The problem was that I enjoyed smoking and don't want to give up! Have tried twice before and nearly went crazy and don't want to go through that again. I saw the fear in my husband and children's eyes when I told them about my condition then they started to find a solution on their own to help my condition.I  diagnosed with this COPD emphysema which I know was from my years of smoking. I started smoking in school when smoking was socially acceptable.. It was not known then how dangerous cigarettes were for us, and it seemed everybody smoked it. On searching, internet my husband saw a testimony of a brother, Nathaniel, how he was also cured of COPD lungs. By a herbalist doctor Akhigbe with his herbal medicine and the brother also wrote the doctor contact on the testimony. We contacted the doctor I was writing to and my husband was writing to him too. The doctor told us what to do and the next week I received the herbal medicine. It was really unbelievable after I finished the medicine. Dr Akhigbe herbal medicine is supernatural, that is how I was able to get rid of my COPD lung condition through the help of  Dr Akhigbe with his  herbal medicine cure. Here is his email   [drrealakhigbe@gmail.com}   He has the right herbal formula to help you get rid and repair any lung conditions and other diseases, his medicine will cure you completely and permanently with his natural organic herbs,We received the medicine through courier delivery service. I wish anybody who starts smoking at a young age would realize what will eventually happen to their bodies if they continue that vile habit throughout their life. It's a lesson I learned and never to forget in my life now I promise my God myself and my family never to smoke again.. All thanks to doctor  Akhigbe, the real herbalist doctor with natural herbs who have cured different people with their different problems.
Dr Akhighe also cured diseases like, HERPES, DIABETES, HIV/AIDS, COPD, CANCER,ASTHMA,STROKE,LUPUS,JOINT PAIN,CHRONIC DISEASES,PARKINSON DISEASES,TUBERCULOSIS,HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE,BREAST INFECTION,WOMEN SEXUAL PROBLEM, GINGIVITIS, ERYSIPELAS,STAPHYLOCOCCUS,HEPATITIS A/B, QUICK EJACULATION, IMMUNOTHERAPY, GONORRHEA,SYPHILIS,WAST/BACK PAIN,PELVIC INFLAMMATORY, DICK ENLARGEMENT,HEART DISEASES,TERMINAL ILLNESS,SHIFT IN FOCUS,ATAXIA,COMMON COLD, HEART HEALTH, CROHN'S DISEASES,ALCOHOL SPECTRUM DISORDER,GRAVES DISEASE,HEARING LOSS, ANTI VIRUS,  INTERSTITIAL CYSTITIS,LEUKEMIA,MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS,OBESITY,RABIES,SCOLIOSIS,INFLUENZA, POLIO,JACOB,ETC. If you are out there looking for your cure please  contact  dr Akhigbe  by his email    drrealakhigbe@gmail.com     or contact his whatsapp number   +2348025012866
God bless you Dr Akhigbe for your good hand work on my life.

Unknown said...

Most loan seekers have to borrow money in order to purchase their home or finance their business. Few have enough money sitting in the bank, or in other easily saleable assets to obtain a loan from the bank as collateral. (Even those few who do have enough money or assets usually find it financially difficult to borrow money from the bank) But Mr Pedro and his loan company offer loans with assets as collateral and they offer 2% rate in return between loan amount of $5000- $5,000,000.00 as long as you are honest to make a return.
Mr Pedro and his loan company grant Home loan,business loan,personal loan,Car loan at the low rate of 2% you can email pedroloanss@gmail.com for more information.