Wednesday, May 22, 2013

A Trip of a Lifetime - to the US and the UK (Part 9) – Another day in New York

I had to wake up early on the 3rd day of my stay in New York as we had been invited to join the Consulate General (CJ) of Malaysia for breakfast with his family. Our transport was picking us up at 7.30am.
I was tired from yesterday’s excitement, but forced myself to get up at 6.00am to get ready.
As we drove through the city to the CJ’s official residence, I managed to snap a few photos of the sceneries.
 

I was looking to find Donald Trump Tower because I watched the construction of the building on Discovery Channel before making the trip to the US, but, from the photos here, I can't seem to recognize which one it is.


As someone who is architecturally trained, I can't help but look at details of buildings and structures where ever I go, and would take photos of structures that I find amazing, unique or simply interesting. And I find this bridge structure to be interesting....


We arrived at the CJ’s lovely home slightly early then expected when we received conflicting information. But, never the less, the CJ and his family received us warmly.

A view from the residence was breath taking as it overlooks the a river. Unfortunately I forgot to snap a photo of the scene.

We were served Nasi Lemak and Laksa Johor. Nothing beats home cook meal anytime!

I wanted to snap a photo of the food but was afraid that it might be considered rude to do so, so, you will just have to use your imagination and trust my word for it that it was a delicious meal. *grin*
Seen here is me with Dr. Hasnah, one of the members of our delegation from UKM.
 
 
One for the album - with CJ and his family.
 

After breakfast, we headed back to the hotel to rest as our next appointment with Autism Speak, an autism advocacy organization that sponsors autism research and conducts awareness and outreach activities aimed at families, governments, and the public was at 3.00pm.
 
However, when I got back to the hotel, my brother suggested that we try to look for this Carlos Bakery (http://www.carlosbakery.com/) which I told him I wanted to visit prior to coming to the US when my son and I have been watching Cake Boss on Astro ever since it started showing on TV.


I had to see for myself what I have been watching on TV, and since I was already in New York, why not, right?

It was a 10 block walk to Carlos Bakery, but, we took in the sceneries as we walked to the Bakery and so, the walk did not feel so far.
I could not conceal my excitement upon seeing the Bakery! Gosh! I am dreaming again that I get to actually see the bakery in person after watching it on TV almost weekly!

 
I think my son would have been excited too had he been here to see the bakery.


I hope that someday, I will be able to come again with him and my hubby to the US, God willing.
 

We ordered some cannolis and lobster trail and yes, they were awesome! I must learn to make them myself!

Soon it was time to make our way back to the hotel as I needed to get ready for my meeting with Autism Speaks and my brother and SIL wanted to go back to New Jersey to pick up their kids and bring them over so that I can get to meet them too.
 
On our way back, I finally found a cart selling berets which I liked and immediately bought it.

See the excitement on my face? Like a little kid who just got a new toy! LOL!
More scenes to feast the eyes.....
One for my son who likes listening to Justin Bieber but would not admit it! LOL!
Believe it! I am in front of Ripley’s Believe or not!
A glamorous McD!
My brother left as soon as we got to the hotel while I got ready for the meeting.

The meeting with Autism Speak was more of a discussion to better understand the programs that they do around the world, and by the end of the meeting, plans were made for Autism Speaks to come to Malaysia to further discuss their programs to suit Malaysia’s needs in building our own Autism Center, similar to what they did in other parts of the world.   

On our way back to the hotel after our meeting, we made a slight detour to see the site of the 9/11 Memorial.

It was along walk from where the driver dropped us off, but so determined were we to see the place that we walked for about an hour before we finally arrived at the site because we had to go around the site.


Looking at the site, it hard to imagine that only 2 towers used to sit there as now they are building 5 towers to replace the 2 towers. They also put up a special memorial of falling water where the 2 towers used to sit.

It was an awesome sight – the new towers, the water fall, the gardens, etc., but it was unfortunate that many people had to die.....

I arrived back at the hotel to find my brother and SIL already waiting for me, together with their children.

It was so nice to see the kids again after more than 2 years of not seeing them. I miss them, and my, both of them have grown so tall!
 

Sarah is as pretty as her mum, as Farhan is as tall and handsome as his dad.
As soon as I freshened up, we sat down to have dinner of Tadoori Chicken, Nan bread, butter rice and other food that my brother and SIL had brought.
 
 
Too bad picture is kind of blurry.
 
 
After dinner, while the kids did their homework, yes! they brought their homework as they still had school the next day!, my SIL and I chit chat while I started packing. My brother, in the mean time, had gone to dreamland! LOL!

It was passed midnight when my brother decided that it was time for them to head home to New Jersey. I felt a pang of sadness as I felt that the 2 days spent with my brother and SIL was simply too short. I wished that we could have spent more time together.

Maybe, God willing, I will come again, and this time with hubby and Aiman, insyaAllah.

When my brother left, the snowstorm was about to hit. The weather forecast on TV predicted a very heavy snowstorm coming our way.
I made my brother sms me as soon as he arrives home as I wanted to be sure that they arrived safely.

Thank God, they arrived safely, but soon after that, he smsed me to let me know that all flights out of New York, including my flight, had been cancelled due to unexpected severe weather condition within the next 24 hours.

I hardly slept that night....

Day 6 – 7th February 2013 – a very long night.....

2 comments:

nikai said...

CG lah... not CJ

Za said...

NikAi, orang Permata panggil dia CJ. I asked why CJ and not CG. Dia kata sebab Consul Jeneral.