Sunday, December 27, 2009

Moving office

Yup, I am in the midst of moving to a new office. We were given only 3 days from the 22nd of December to pack, and yesterday, Saturday, 26th December, was the moving day.

It was turning topsy turvey as there 12 floors, from 3 different locations moving all within a span of only 4 days. There were so many things that had to be moved – the files, the books, the furniture, and despite the movers providing us with 6 lorries and 15 workers, as of yesterday at midnight, the second day of the moving, they had only covered 3 floors!

I doubt it if they could complete the balance of the 8 floors today and tomorrow.

They were schedule to start on my section yesterday at 2.00pm, but as of midnight last night, they haven’t even arrived at my section!

I managed to carry some of my things using my car and my staff helped transport some of the things using his car. So, I had some of my things with me at my new office, but not enough for me to be able to get started on work by Monday.

I will probably need the rest of this coming week just to unpack and put everything in it’s place before I will actually be able to work, and probably another day of two to be on track with work.

We don’t even have a phone nor any internet connection as the contractor have yet to fully complete all the wiring work. They said that it will probably be another month or so before we will have all the lines in place. Can you imagine my working condition for the next one month?

Not only that, the Senior Officers are not allotted tables and chairs and we were told to bring the old tables and chairs from our old office. Only the junior officers and staffs are being provided with a complete set of furniture.

So, looks like I will be holding my meetings for the next few weeks on the floor and working from the floor until my old table arrives! LOL!

As of yesterday, Saturday, 26th December, while I waited for some of my things to arrive, I sat on the floor with the laptop and did some work, and went on Facebook! LOL! *grin*

You must be curious as to why am I moving office when the basic needs have not be fulfilled, right? Well, I wish our top management could answer that.

Obviously, someone had failed to plan, and someone had failed to bid for the right amount of budget for the moving. Either that, or the instructions to move out was given without anyone checking as to whether the budget was sufficient or not, or maybe it was never there to begin with.

We could not extend our stay at the old office anymore despite all the lackings in infrastructure at the new office as instructions were given out for us to move out and vacate the old premises before the end of the year, by hook or by crook.

It seems that work will start on 1st January at the old premises in preparation for the new tenant to move in.

I feel like we have just been thrown out from our own home as the old premises actually belongs to us, whereas the new tenant moving aren’t, as the building was first built for us more than 10 years ago.

It might be an old building, but it offers a lot of convenience, like a post office, a farmer’s market every Tuesday, no traffic jams going to work as it is located just at the outskirt of town, and most importantly, it was OUR BUILDING.

We will be renting the new building for a minimum of probably 3 years.

Hujan emas di negeri orang, hujan batu di negeri sendiri. Lebih baik dinegeri sendiri.

Literally translated to mean, even if there was gold rain in another country, and it only rains rock in your country, your own country is still the best place to be.

I will miss the old building and all its conveniences. The only thing I look forward to at the new building is that it is conveniently located next to the Monorail and the STAR LRT Station. A Dangerous convenience, really, as I good easily hop onto the LRT and go to Jalan Tunku Abdul Rahman for a quick Stash Shopping trip on Fridays! LOL!

No comments: