Sunday, January 17, 2010

A food carrier with a difference

I was at Bangsar Village II some two weeks ago to send Aiman for his usual Saturday activities. While I was there, I decided to check out the Craft Market held on every Saturday and Sunday on the 3rd Floor of the shopping mall.

I met this lady, Zakiah, if I got her name correctly (she gave me a card but it is in one of my many bags, which I can’t remember which one!), who happens to be the wife of the famous artist, Yusuf Gajah.

However, I am not about to talk about her husband’s work of art but, instead on a piece of sewing project which she did, which I find very fascinating.

She made this bag as a container carrier, the carrier being the size mostly used by the malays to pack up their kuih bahulu in a round container.


She made them using cottons she bought at local shops like Nagoya and Kamdar, if I am not mistaken, but they looked like really expensive materials. There were two that I liked and could not decide which one to buy.

I finally settled for the one in red which was made using Chinese silk and I was told that it was recycled from a friend’s chinese cheong sam.


I really like the striking red colour and it would make very nice gifts, but, I am not giving this away! I intend to use it as a sample to try making one so that I may give that away! LOL! *wink*

I was told that it can be shaped into a flower, and once properly decorated, can be put on a `dulang’ as a `hantaran’ for a wedding.


Now that’s an idea!

BTW, recently I bought some wicker baskets which was being sold at the Local Craft Sale held in Kuala Terengganu. No, I did not go to Terengganu, but made my order through Roz who went there to keep a friend selling her wares at the Craft Fair company.


I really don’t know yet what I intend to do with the baskets, but I really like them and I have plenty of use for them actually, but just can’t decide what I want to do with which one! LOL Typical of Geminians! So fickle minded! LOL!

Which keep you all posted on what I end up doing! *wink*

No comments: