Wednesday, December 27, 2006

In the mood for motifs

I know I should be spring cleaning the house over the long weekend, taking advantage of the long christmas break, and yes, I managed to get a couple of days off too. *grin*

Instead, I suddenly got smitten (how many times this last week did I get smitten? LOL! *wink*) by the crochet bug again, when I went over to Lily's Handicraft at Subang Parade on Tuesday to see what type of yarns do they carry. I have been wanting to buy some variegated threads and yarns, but have yet to find them in the colours that I like at the local needlecraft shops which I had visited in the last week or so.

As I entered Lily's Handicraft, on the counter was a motif crochet book. The cover alone was tempting enough for me to pick it up and browse through it. It contained more than 200 small motifs, and all the charts are drawn, not written! That was not all that I like about the book. Ever since I saw some beautiful tatted laces at Faizon's blog, I have been wanting to try combining colours in my crochet pieces.

Before this, I have always done my pieces in monochrome, not daring to mix colours because I wasn't sure how it will turn out. This book had quite a number of the motifs where a combination of colours were used. I got excited and could not stop flipping through the pages!

Yeap, you guessed it! I bought the book! LOL! *blush* I just had to try some, if not all the motifs in the book. Most of them are so beautiful!

So, today, instead of continuing cleaning up and organising the house (heck, I have been cleaning up the house since christmas day! I need a break! LOL! *wink*), I tried out some of the patterns!

As you can see here, I have tried six motifs! I like the green and the purple laces the most. They are so tiny (the smallest being only 1.5" x 1.5" - the pink & cream lace, the biggest measuring only 2.25" x 2.25" - the blue and cream lace) and some are so intricate to do, that I almost gave up on two of them, but, perseveared because I wanted to see the outcome.

Now that I have done 6, I want to do more, only I don't know what should I do with all these small little motifs. Maybe someone can give me some suggestions? Should I do many pieces of the same motifs and put them together, making them into doilies? I actually prefer making doilies that containes one big piece of motif, instead of several small motifs. Maybe if I see some examples of small motifs combined together, I can picture it better, and gives me more confidence to proceed making more motifs. Until then, I am just going to keep on trying out some more small motifs.

Maybe I should take upon Faizon's 25 Motif Challenge? *wink*

No comments: