Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Am I ready for this?

I am feeling restless. I felt like this about the same time last year too. At that time, I had just gotten my promotions.

This time I am feeling restless because I will be starting another new chapter in my career where I will be doing Project Management. I have been doing Design Management for the past nine years. Before that, since starting work, I have always been involved in doing designs, and have always loved designing since the tender age of 6.

It is time to move forward, and hopefully to move even further up in my carrer, or as some may say, move up the corporate ladder.

When I got my promotions last year, my boss put me in charge of managing the design units in the department, even though he had prefered that I do project management even then. I wasn't prepared to do project management then as I felt that I did not have enough knowledge of the job, and further more, I love being involved in designs, and wish to carry on managing designs.

However, now my boss feels that it is time that I start moving forward in my career, and by doing project management, he feel that it will give me the exposure and the experience needed to prepare me for a much better career movement in the future.

Project Management, from what I have read and heard from my colleagues who are already doing project management, is a challenging job, and you always need to be on your toes to make sure that you are on top of everything all the time. You have to know your management stuff very well, and it is something I am only beginning to learn.

However, my boss' confidence in me to take up the job is flattering, and I feel honoured, but scared at the same time, because it also means that he will have very high expectations of me, and I am afraid of what I might not be able to do.

People say that if you don't try something new, you will never know what you are capable of doing. I am hoping that I am capable of doing a lot of things which, before this, I thought I never could. I am hoping that I will be able to take up my boss' challenges to do project management, and do a very good job of it. I hate to fail him, and of course, to fail myself. I hope that I will be able to face all the challenges that comes with the job, and I promise that I will do my best to deliver what is expected of me.

Please, dear friends and families, do wish me luck!

10 comments:

Janet C said...

Congratulations. I'm sure you'll be able to live up to your boss' expectations. All the best.

Emily said...

Congratulations! Nik ~ you deserve the promotion.

Za said...

Thank you, Janet and Emily for the congratulatory message, and the well wishes.

Actually, I got my promotion already last year, and was moved to be Principal Design Manager, from my previous Senior Design Manager's post.

Now my boss wants me to be Principal Project Manager in preparation for further promotion should a place opens up in the future.

Za said...

eh! I think I just confused everyone when I said that I will now be doing Project Management instead of Design Management. My hubby would say that I am being too technical with my explaination! LOL!

Anyway, the important thing is that I appreciate all the well wishes sent my way.

Hugs, everyone!

Cik Seri Sue said...

Congratulations Nik! well done!

Lillie said...

Congrads Nik!

Biblo said...

Lots of luck, Nik.. on your new adventures moving forward. But I doubt luck has anything to do with it. It is all your hard work!

Mrs. Fedex said...

Congratulations Nik!!

Anonymous said...

Of course you can do it. Good luck.

HaniFadil said...

Congratulations Pn. Nik.