Thursday, July 24, 2008

A gift that made my day!

My day today started out like as if I am going to have a very bad today. I could hardly drive myself to work this morning, trying very hard to keep awake, as I could hardly sleep last night.

It all started when I got a call from the top management office yesterday afternoon to come in for an investigative interview this evening with regards to a project I am handling which is running into some major problems.

I had only recently taken over this project from the previous Project Manager, and just my luck, she handed over to me all the problematic projects, while she carries with her all the glamorous projects.

I hardly slept the night before thinking what investigative questions I am going to be asked, as I am unfamiliar with what had taken place during the course of the design process and the early stage of construction. Whatever I know would only be what was recorded and minuted in the files.

Upon my arrival at the office, my Director called me up asking me to prepare a report of the said project. He wanted to see the report before the interview, which was slotted for 4.00pm. I have a 9.00am meeting to attend on behalf of my Director who is outstation, and I am chairing a project meeting at 2.30pm. I am left with very little time to prepare the report and mentally prepare myself for the interview. I also needed to visit the site to see what the progress on site is in order to prepare myself for the interview.

I could almost feel my knees buckle under pressure from the stress of trying to do so many things all at one time. My officer in charge of the project had to take emergency leave due to some family emergency, so, you can imagine the panic and anxiety attack that I was going through in the morning, all before 9.00am!

It was then that my assistant walked into my office and handed me a flat package. I looked up at him, puzzled. I saw the label on the package that said “CROP-n-SCRAP”.

I couldn’t recall when did I ever make any order at CROP-n-SCRAP. Despite my panic state of mind, I sliced open the package, and, what I saw in the package, and the note that came with it put a smile on my panic stricken face. LOL!


BJ had kindly RAKed (Random Act of Kindness) me a gift when she saw that I was back to doing scrapbooking. Her note said, “Since you are scrapbooking again, I figured that you might need some help! Have fun! “

The package contained 6 pieces of 12” x 12” scrapbook papers, all in my favourite pink and green colour, a length each of pink and green ribbons, and pink rick-rack lace.

Oh my gosh! The package could not have come at a much better time! I would have wanted to `play’ and admire the papers, ribbons and rick rack, but I had a 9.00am meeting to rush off to, but not before I smsed BJ my thanks for such kind thoughts.

Thank you so much, BJ! I couldn’t express enough my joy when I saw the package from you, especially when it came at just the time that I needed a boost to my day!

Needless to say, the investigative interview went quite well, though I have loads of work to do with regards to this project. I answered all questions truthfully, and I learnt a lot about my new role as a Project Manager. I am looking forward to doing the best I can in whatever challenges that comes my way in my quest to become a successful Project Manager and leader.

2 comments:

Barbara J said...

You are most welcome Nik.

Yesterday really looked like it was going to be a difficult day. So glad I could help alleviate the anxiousness a little. Talk about timing huh? Those green and pinks look so much better in your photo shot!

Janet C said...

So sweet of BJ. Lovely combo she picked up for you. :)