Sunday, January 25, 2009

Oh dear! Oh dear! Oh dear!

I made a mistake marking off the center point for the months for my calendar project! Uurrghh!!

I read and re-read the intructions several times, and I did the marking off in class, yet, I ended up with a HUGE mistake! Oh dear! Oh dear! Oh dear!

The intructions in the book clearly stated that I am to measure 3" x 3 1/2" center to center, and I am to mark off 12 points, for 12 months. That was what I did. I sent for the months to be embroidered many weeks ago, but I did not touch it since I got it back as I was working on the numbers (the 31 days in a month).

I only opened it again this morning to work on it, and when I put my template on top of the months did I realised that the months have been embroidered too close to each other, leaving no space for any allowance. Oh dear! Oh dear! Oh dear!


It was not the mistake of the person who embroidered it as she had embroidered it where the center of the month is supposed to be, where I had marked it off as per the intructions.

It was only at the last portion of the book did it say that I am to leave a 1" gap between each month, but, how am I to do that when I don't even have enough space for any seam allowance? Oh dear! Oh dear! Oh dear!

So, OK, maybe I should have read the whole book first before starting on the project, but, I had marked off the center according to this diagram here.


And, even if I had read the whole book first, there was no where in the diagram that a 1" gap was supposed to be included. Oh dear! Oh dear! Oh dear!

If I were to go ahead and cut it according to the spaces that I am left with, than I would end up with a very small `monthly' piece to put it on the center of flower where it is supposed to be. Well, come to think of it, maybe it wouldn't look too bad, but.... *sigh* What do you think?


Looks like I really need to go to class this afternoon, regardless of whether or not I had finished my homework. I need to resolve this and I hope the teachers can help resolve it for me. *sigh*

3 comments:

The Heart of Paul said...

Oh dear. I guess it's like a recipe. You've got to go through it all before you start cooking.

I'm sorry to hear about it Nik. I understand how frustrating it can be.
BUUUUUUUUUUTTT......I heard someone you know has a new super machine that can do embroidery :) There's still hope for you to complete the project. Teehee!

Za said...

I remember that I did go through the book b4 starting out, but nothing looks out of place, so to speak, then.

Yeah, I am going to holler out to that friend who just got her new toy! LOL! *wink*

Anonymous said...

What you can do is qpplique them to the fabric. You can use the satin stitch (close zig-zag) using embroidery thread.

One thing about M'sian instructions is they are not clear from the beginning. That is why I tend to shy away from them.